[mou] "Assuming" can get you somewhere you don't want to be

Holly Peirson hpbirdscouter at msn.com
Sun Nov 11 19:25:13 CST 2007

Ok, Ok, I'll bite. You both are making assumptions but have you considered.?
I'm coming upon these posts today, have not even thought about going to see
this bird because I'm too busy (sorry, Bob Holtz!), have no idea where it
is, etc etc.

All that said:

So, there is a bird in a staked out location. Is it there all the time? That
in itself is an assumption. Otherwise, how might the bird be eating? It
would have to move now and then or go hungry.

Of course, if the watchers were keeping it from moving to keep hidden, that
would be not an assumption but an intrusion.

If there were people there at 9:00 who were shown the bird, and it was
watched until 10:00, we can't assume that there was anyone (including the
bird) there at 11:30 for this person to see -- or to miss because it wasn't
moving.

She then walked around this park until 2:00 PM before coming upon a crow
worrying an owl. But she didn't see the owl until the crow left and then it
moved. I'm SURE ALL of us have been in that place.

So, therefore:

I take issue with Mr. Brashear's first post, it was flat-out rude. This new
one is no apology. This is the type of post (from said "list moderator," no
less) that turns people away from being on this listserv. I know people who
will NOT come onto this listserv or put sitings on it because they don't
want to get "eaten alive," (their words). I have put sitings and other
information on this listserv since sometime in the '90s, but every time I
miss a word or say something in an unclear manner, I get people writing to
correct me. If I was less brave or careful in my research before I post, I
wouldn't still be here...  "Please use common sense when you approach
birds." WHAT the H-E-double-toothpicks is that? If you don't know the bird
is there, and if you are walking along minding your own business in a public
park. Plus, everyone who comes out to see a bird (or is just walking along a
public park path and gets sucked in when there's a batch of folks standing
around with binoculars) doesn't know ALL the birds' comfort zones OR all
species' signs of discomfort. We cannot assume that all folks who come out
to see a bird have the same knowledge level or awareness of birds that we
do.

Then this woman assumes that Mr. Brashear is talking to her, and a whole new
set of assumptions begins.

And then there's Mr. Brashear again, stating that he feels stupid for
showing the bird to anyone.

Wow.

What type of actual or virtual birding community would we have if we never
showed anyone a bird.? I'll tell you what, if I had more time to be out in
the world looking at birds and if I found an owl, and if there was anyone
(not just a birder) walking by, I'd 'crow' it to them loud and clear (unless
it was a duck, grouse, pheasant, or turkey during hunting season.!!)

Too many assumptions here.

Move on, folks, and please try to keep it kind. Say, were any of you Scouts
at some period in your lives? The Boy Scout Law states: A Scout (you could
read that any adult person.) is: Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly,
Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.

Think about it. And let us all know when you find the next greatest bird
ever!

Thanks for reading, and not assuming..

Holly Peirson

Columbus, Anoka Co.