[mou] Smith's Longspur at Rothsay

JELLISBIRD at aol.com JELLISBIRD at aol.com
Sun Nov 11 20:10:17 CST 2007

    (Tried to post this earlier but it is not on-will try again)

Yesterday, 11-10-07, I saw a Smith's Longspur in the company of two other
probable Smith's Longspurs on 200th Street between 280th Ave and 300th Ave at a
few minutes after 2:00 PM. There is a sign near a fencerow on the south side of
200th Street that says "Prairie Chicken Blind." On either side of the
fencerow, about 25 yards from the road is a small pond/mud-hole. The one on the east
is surrounded by a mud flat and the one on the west was surrounded by short,
dried grass. I noticed Longspurs coming into the ponds (especially the Western
one) about One and had been sitting and watching the ponds trying to find a
Smith's. The three Smith's came together a little after Two. I stayed and began
tallying birds at that point. No more Smith's came that I could ID (some water
was in the 4-6" grass and I could not see all the birds.) The birds came in
singles, twos, threes, fives, eights and more. Some larger (20-30) flocks swung
over but did not light. The birds would stay to drink for 10-15 seconds for
up to a couple of minutes and then be on their way.
`   There were also Snow Buntings, a few H. Larks and three Rough Legged
Hawks.

        John Ellis-St. Paul

http://www.aol.com</HTML>