[mou] Surf Scoter/Wood Thrush-NW MN

Benjamin Fritchman fieldfare21 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 11 21:58:46 CST 2007

I spent the weekend birding in northwestern Minnesota with Dedrick Benz and John Hockema. Saturday(11/10) we found a Wood Thrush in Moorhead, Clay County. Not only is this bird tough to find in Clay County, but it seems to be one of the latest dates on record for this species in Minnesota! The bird was hanging out around the interesection of S. Elm Street and S. River Drive. It was seen in several yards on the river side of the road.
Today(11/11), we found a Surf Scoter in Kittson County. The bird was at the Twin Lakes WMA. There is a pull off with an observation deck. It was from here that Dedrick first spotted the bird out in the water. Only other waterfowl present were 4 Mallards. I believe this is a first county record.

Ben Fritchman
NDSU