[mou] - Could this be why people don't post.......

Sandy Kuder fivekuders at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 09:29:06 CST 2007

To the MOU listserve.....

  Attached is the personal reply that the MOU Moderator sent me.  Normally, I would not post such a thing...HOWEVER....since he is the moderator of this listserve, it explains alot.

  p.s.   Maybe this isn't the forum for an amateur birdwatcher such as myself.   Or the organization.

  Happy Birding,
  Sandy Kuder

Terence Brashear <birdnird at yahoo.com> wrote:
        Sandy

There is a HUGE difference between unknowingly spooking a bird and spooking one that is in a known location.

I located the bird in a very hard to find spot it, it took me 2 hours to find it, and after letting people know about within a half hour, there was a beaten trail leading right up to the bird.  I had to tell one person with a point and shoot digital camera to back off.  I feel terrible now.  The 10 people that were there and could not find it would have told people it was gone.  Instead I told people the EXACT location.  Cell phones opened and the calls were made.

When I left there were 20 people standing around and more people on the trail heading to where the bird was; around 10:30-10:45AM.  This was not an unknowing person not seeing the bird and spooking it.  This was someone not respecting the bird's space and getting too close.  By 11AM the bird was gone.  How is that a short-sighted assumption?  A huge group of people shows up and in 15 minutes the bird is gone?  Do you really think I was making flippant assumptions?  Give me a break!

I have worked with bird for years, handling them and doing field research for USFW, State of Iowa, State of MN, USGS.  My degree is in Avian Conservation.  Do you think I was just spouting off?  What sort of background do you have to ASSUME anything about me?

Terry Brashear
Hennepin County, MN
http://www.naturepixels.com
birdnird AT yahoo.com