[mou] Birding around

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 17 01:43:32 CST 2007

the most interesting bird of the week was a "gray ghost", a male Northern
Harrier.  What was interesting was not that I saw one (it was the second one
this week), but where I saw it.  I observed it soaring above the Town Center
shopping center in Eagan.   I had assumed it was one of the local Red-tailed
Hawks from the nearby interstate, but when it passed, I had to grab my
binocs to check it out.  After it crossed the parking lots, it descended to
hunting levels over a nearby wetland.

We have at least two Red-breasted Nuthatches visiting our feeders in Eagan.

On Monday I checked out the Arbor Lakes in Maple Grove, which were notable
for their lack of interesting birds.  Besides the flocks of mostly
Ring-billed Gulls and the Canada Geese, the only birds of interest were a
flock of about thirty Hooded Mergansers on a pond north and east of Weaver
Lake Road and Main Street.

I got out of town twice this week for work, to Fairmount and to New Ulm.
There were few birds around, excepting the non-native trash birds at the
homesteads along the route.  I did stop briefly at a Swan Lake WMA in
Nicollet County and found a Kestrel, a small number of Tree Sparrows, and a
large flock of blackbirds that appeared to be mostly, if not all, Red-winged
Blackbirds.   It was striking how little was around.

sweston2 at comcast.net