[mou] Mute Swan and American Golden-Plovers in Scott County

Williams, Bob BXWilliams at CBBURNET.COM
Sun Nov 18 12:24:44 CST 2007

This morning there was an adult Mute Swan at the MN Valley NWR near Jordan.  I talked with an area hunter who said that there had been 3 swans there about a month ago.  He did not know if they were all adults.  To reach the spot where the bird was seen turn right onto Co. Rd. 9 from US 169 in Jordan.  Travel a short distance to Valley View Rd.(Co. Rd. 57) and turn right.  Travel .6 miles to Mendoza Ave. and turn left.  Travel .5 miles to Duck Lane and turn right.  This gravel road takes you to an entrance to the refuge that is currently being used by hunters.  The bird was in the water to your right as you enter the refuge.  If anyone knows anything about this bird please let me know.
There were 3 American Golden-Plovers at the Belle Plaine Sewage Ponds along Co. Rd. 6 just south of town.  One of the birds has a bad foot.
There was also a Merlin seen along Co. Rd. 57 between the correctional facility and the state park.
Bob Williams, Bloomington