[mou] Bird Quotes

Thomas Maiello thomas at angelem.com
Tue Nov 20 17:40:12 CST 2007

A few good ones

A turkey is more occult and awful than all the angels and
archangels. In so far as God has partly revealed to us an angelic
world, he has partly told us what an angel means. But God has
never told us what a turkey means. And if you go and stare at a
live turkey for an hour or two, you will find by the end of it
that the enigma has rather increased than diminished.
Chesterton, Gilbert K.

Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds
change color and fall from the trees.
David Letterman

I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to
heaven.
Emily Dickinson

The moment a little boy is concerned with which is a jay and
which is a sparrow, he can no longer see the birds or hear them sing.
Eric Berne

I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while
I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more
distinguished by that circumstance that I should have been by any
epaulet I could have worn.
Henry David Thoreau

I value my garden more for being full of blackbirds than of
cherries, and very frankly give them fruit for their songs.
Joseph Addison

There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the
way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was
before.
Robert Lynd

Birds sing after a storm; why shouldn't people feel as free to
delight in whatever sunlight remains to them?
Rose Kennedy

You cannot prevent the birds of sorrow from flying
over your head, but you can prevent them from
building nests in your hair. Chinese Proverb

It's best to have failure happen early in life. It wakes up the
Phoenix bird in you so you rise from the ashes. Anne Baxter

Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy
to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a
very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
Bernard Meltzer

A wise old owl sat on an oak; The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard; Why aren't we like that wise
old bird? Edward Hersey Richards

To a man, ornithologists are tall, slender, and bearded so that
they can stand motionless for hours, imitating kindly trees, as
they watch for birds.
Gore Vidal

Success is full of promise till one gets it, and then it seems
like a nest from which the bird has flown.
Henry Ward Beecher

God gives every bird his worm, but He does not throw it into the
nest.
P. D. James

When I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck
and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck.
Richard C. Cushing

Thomas Maiello
Angel Environmental Management, Inc.
Maple Grove, MN