[mou] Townsends Solitaire in Hibbing...

SCmzd at aol.com SCmzd at aol.com
Thu Nov 22 21:49:14 CST 2007

Went to Hibbing Minnesota today to visit with family.  Was blown away  when
per chance I drove past Bennet Park on Greyhound Boulevard, and right by  the
play ground equipment discovered a small flock of 10 Pine Grosbeaks feeding  on
a small group of ornamental crab apple trees.  Was even more surprised  to
discover a Townsends Solitaire foraging in the same area.  The solitaire  fed
heavily on the crabapples that were on the ground.  It was quite shy  compared
to the pine grosbeaks.  The solitaire appeared to be quite  localized and it
would not suprise me at all if the bird could be found in this  location in the
future as there is plenty of food in the area and plenty of  cover to be had
in the planted conifers in the park.  I was wondering if  anyone knew of a
Townsends Solitaire being recorded in the Hibbing area  before?  Happy Birding,
Shawn Zierman.