[mou] Itasca County Boreal Chickadees, Black-backed Woodpeckers, Black-billed Magpie

shawn conrad dingermcduff at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 24 13:28:20 CST 2007

Earl Orf and I birded Itasca County this morning.  Birding was relatively slow, but we did have a few highlights:

- Boreal Chickadees; one on the trail in the spruce bog .1 mile north of Middle Creek on Alder Road and one on the fire tower trail at Scenic State Park

- Black-billed Magpie north of Bigfork near the intersection of CR 42 and CR 237

- 2 probable Black-backed Woodpeckers (90% sure) viewed on distant trees in a tamarack bog on Alder Road between Middle Creek and the Bowstring River

Other birds found include several Gray Jays (Alder Road), Pine Grosbeaks, 2 Ruffed Grouse (Scenic SP), Rough-legged Hawk (Hwy 38 between Bigfork & Effie), about 50 Common Redpolls (FR 2182), and a Brown Creeper (Scenic).  Shawn Conradhttp://users.2z.net/itasca_chippewa_birding/