[mou] Tufted titmice - north metro

COLE FOSTER blackburnian at msn.com
Sun Nov 25 14:50:57 CST 2007

Just before noon today (November 25) I saw a pair of tufted titmice along Rice Creek in Fridley.  They were seen from the paved trail near a backwater that runs north from the creek about 200 feet west of the Anoka/Ramsey county border which is marked by a large fenced-in yard.

There are a few places you can park to get to this area if you want to look for the birds.  I normally park along Anoka Street where it dead-ends south of 69th Avenue (becomes County Road H in Ramsey), take the informal trail down to the creek, and from there you can take the paved trail left (east) until you get to the backwater area.  Alternatively you can take Stinson north of Mississippi Street until it ends at 66 1/2 Street, park and walk north between the two driveways (almost certainly a public easement), get on the paved trail, cross bridge #19 and continue walking north until the trail branches to the west, and then take that west a short distance and you'll be at the backwater area.  The birds were last seen moving north where there's an informal trail blocked by a fallen tree.

Cole Foster