[mou] unidentified eider on Leech Lake

Eckert K R eckertkr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 13:26:24 CST 2007

Ben Wieland just called to report that he and Dale Yerger found a
female-plumaged eider today on Shingobee Bay on Leech Lake in Cass Co.
The location was along MN Hwy 200/371 a few miles south of Walker,
about 1 or 2 mi N of the jct of Hwys 200 and 371, which Ben said is the
first place you can see the bay as you drive north. Ben said they
parked next to a large log building which is under construction on the
right (east) side of the highway, and the eider was to the east of
there.

So far, Ben and Dale are unsure whether it's a King or Common Eider,
but they took photos of it ~11:30, and Ben and Andrew Birch are on
their way back to try to get a better look and more photos. Ben
e-mailed me some of his first photos which were taken in poor light
conditions and at a fair distance, and in my opinion it is indeed an
eider but I cannot tell which species from the photos.

Stand by for an update from Ben later today, and hopefully a positive
ID and better photos will be forthcoming.  - Kim Eckert