[mou] Bagley Farm Report

Larson Kelly northernflights at charter.net
Thu Nov 29 09:01:26 CST 2007

On Monday Nov. 26th the first BB Magpie appeared at the new feeder.
So far the deer carcasses have attracted B Jays, BC Chickadees, H & D
Woodpecker. Several Bald Eagles and Ravens have made low, inquisitive
flights over the field where the pile is located, but non have landed
yet. Monday afternoon I found a freshly deceased Coot on the road 3/4
mile north of Clearwater cty 13 on 201st Ave. This area is composed
of stockyards to the west and hay fields to the east. Also on this
stretch of road were N. Shrike. I've seen Shrike in four locations
near the farm this week and three Rough-legged Hawk. No sparrows of
any description have been seen at the feeders for a week. Goldfinch
counts are running as high as 6 dozen at once with a smattering of C
Redpoll and Pine Siskin mixed in. 5-11 Evening Grosbeaks continue to
make sporadic visits to the feeding stations. This morning 5 Pine
Grosbeaks made an appearance, looking lovely against the fresh snow.

In Bemidji on Wednesday afternoon there was one lone swan sitting on
the ice, segregated from the Canada Geese. It was viewed with binocs
only, at quite a distance,  straight out from the inlet at the
visitors center parking lot. I was somewhat concerned that this might
be an individual in trouble as it did not fly off in the direction of
the geese when they left in a hurry.

Kelly Larson
Bagley/Bemidji Minnesota

Eschew Obfuscation!