[mou] about wildlife funding in Minnesota

Richard Wood rwoodphd at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 14:38:12 EDT 2007

Hi all,

First off, not every (serious) birder is a member of the MOU (I'm not).  Secondly, you may poo-poo the numbers of birders that I quoted, but the fact is, birding and golfing are 1 and 2 as hobbies in terms of numbers of people that participate.

Here's a quote from the NAS web site, http://www.audubon.org/bird/at_home/bird_watching/index.shtml:
"Did you know that birding is the number one sport in America?
According to US Fish and Wildlife Service, there are currently 51.3
million birders in the United States alone, and this number continues
to grow!
"

Thirdly, the number of hunters (and fishers) is constantly dwindling, so at some point that market is going to not be there.  You're going to have to get that money from somewhere.  I think a few dollars per birder per year isn't a big thing to ask.  I think an organization like Audubon, whether on a state or national level, could come up with a marketing plan to sell this to not only its members, but to other birders as well.

Why we need to keep dropping this at the foot of the hunters is beyond me.  $20/birder/year would be over $1 billion annually to conserve habitat.

Good birding,
Richard

Richard L. Wood, Ph. D.
Hastings, MN