[mou] Northwest Minnesota Birding Report- Thursday, October 4, 2007

Jeanie Joppru ajjoppru at wiktel.com
Thu Oct 4 21:15:15 EDT 2007

White-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Brewer's Blackbird
Purple Finch
Pine Siskin
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: October 4, 2007
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru (ajjoppru at wiktel.com)

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, October 4,
2007 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

We have left the 70's behind in the northwest for this year, and this
week temperatures have hovered around the 60 mark. Fall winds have made
short work of the leaves and although it seems a bit early, most are on
the ground already. Migration continues and sparrows are making an
appearance now.

Beth Siverhus in Roseau County reported a variety of geese, including
SNOW GOOSE, CANADA GOOSE, and CACKLING GOOSE. Other species being seen
include CHIPPING SPARROW, WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, and BREWER'S
BLACKBIRDS.

>From Beltrami County on October 3, Dave Carman was also watching
sparrows including a FOX SPARROW, 40 WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS, 5 HARRIS'S
SPARROWS, two WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS, and DARK-EYED JUNCOS.

Lyle and Sally Lauber at Dixon Lake in Itasca County reported that the
TRUMPETER SWANS they saw earlier in the year have returned with two
young this week. Other species seen lately included COMMON LOON,
SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, BROAD-WINGED HAWK, SPOTTED SANDPIPER, and
RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER.

At Agassiz NWR in Marshall County, Gary Tischer reported that a
PEREGRINE FALCON and a GREAT-CRESTED FLYCATCHER were seen by a visitor
on October 3. Other species of note on the refuge included TRUMPETER
SWAN, about 50 TUNDRA SWANS, more than 30 GREAT EGRETS, and two
SHARP-SHINNED HAWKS. Along the west, north, and east boundaries in the
harvested wheat fields around 1000 SANDHILL CRANES are gathering.

Randy Horien in Pennington County reported a RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD
in Thief River Falls on September 27. Here in our yard on October 1st we
had two BROWN CREEPERS, many WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS, a HARRIS'S
SPARROW, and some PINE SISKINS. On October 4th, a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK
took a DARK-EYED JUNCO after driving it into our deck door.

Anita Vettleson was fortunate enough to be able to photograph an adult
BALD EAGLE near Oklee in Red Lake County on September 27.

>From Clay County, Mel and Elaine Bennefeld reported a RED-BREASTED
NUTHATCH at the Pondorosa Golf Club on September 28.

Amy Drake in Otter Tail County reported RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH,
RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, an unusual number of BLUE JAYS, and PURPLE FINCH
on September 28. Tom Smith reported CACKLING GOOSE at Lake Alice in
Fergus Falls on September 28. Alma Ronningen observed 18 WILD TURKEYS in
their yard this week. Other species included MERLIN, CEDAR WAXWINGS,
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, DARK-EYED JUNCO, and PINE
SISKIN.

Thanks to Anita Vettleson, Beth Siverhus, Dave Carman, Amy Drake, Mel
and Elaine Bennefeld, Randy Horien, Alma Ronningen, Sally and Lyle
Lauber, Tom Smith and Gary Tischer for their reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at ajjoppru at wiktel.com OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, October 11,
2007.