[mou] Park Point Rec Area

Peder Svingen psvingen at d.umn.edu
Fri Oct 5 20:06:57 EDT 2007

Additional sightings at the Recreation Area today included six
Black-bellied Plovers and a first-cycle Lesser Black-backed Gull
working the beach between the bathhouse and the airport between 11:55
AM and 12:25 PM. Not including junco or longspurs, I was able to find
10 species of sparrow this afternoon. At about 5:15 PM, a White-winged
Scoter and a Harlequin Duck flew north along Park Point and then
circled around to head back towards Wisconsin Point. An adult Thayer's
Gull was at Interstate Island.

Also this afternoon at the Recreation Area, Kim Eckert and Butch Ukura
refound the bird identified last weekend as a juvenile Gyrfalcon. It
was still hunting along the beach when I left the bathhouse at 5:30 PM.
Several observers last weekend and those of us watching the bird today
noted its relatively small size -- small enough that if this bird is a
pure Gyrfalcon, it can only be a male. Additional photos were taken for
further evaluation.
--
Peder H. Svingen
Duluth, MN