[mou] Chaska Lake and Purgatory Creek

John Cyrus cyrus150 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 9 14:05:56 EDT 2007

Chaska Lake this morning had quite a few ducks on it.   Unfortunately(or fortunately depending on how you look at it), a Bald Eagle dove in and scared them to the side of the lake furthest from the trail.    In flight, I am fairly sure I saw Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, and Northern Shoveler.     The Bald Eagle was successful in catching a small fish of some sort.     There was also a Red-tailed Hawk and a falcon flyby.   A Kingfisher is still hunting along the creek by the lake.   Sparrows were numerous.    The first American Tree Sparrows have arrived.   There were a few scattered with the other sparrows.   There were many Fox Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Junco, a few Lincoln's Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, and a single Harris' Sparrow.   It looks like most of the straggling warblers moved on with the last front.   There were only a few Yellow-rumped Warbler.   There seemed to be a few more Ruby-crowned Kinglet around.   I have yet to see a Golden-crowned this fall.   That may be one I miss for the season.

The blind at Purgatory Creek was rather uninteresting.   There were some Coot, Blue-winged Teal, Mallard, Pied-billed Grebe, and of course Canada Geese.   The most numerous bird were Coot.   There were around 100 in the pond to the left of the wood chip path as you head towards the blind.   Other than that there were, White-throated, Lincolns, Clay-colored Sparrow, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Yellow-rumped Warbler, and Orange-crowned Warbler mainly along the paved path towards the creek.

John