[mou] Snow Goose - Locke Park (Anoka County)

rdunlap at gac.edu rdunlap at gac.edu
Thu Oct 18 13:56:00 EDT 2007

I wouldn't call this bird a hybrid for the following reasons:

The "clean white head" of a Ross's Goose is not diagnostic; Snow Geese
can also have very white heads, with little or no yellowish wash in
the face. The amount of yellow that Sibley shows on the heads of Snow
Geese is quite liberal and perhaps even exaggerated in some of his
illustrations.

The bill's shape and size, including the "grin patch," appear to be
the correct  dimensions of the average Snow Goose bill.

If it were a hybrid, I would expect the size of the bird to be
noticeably smaller than it appears to be. I would also look for a
stubbier bill with a less noticeable "grin patch."

Bob Dunlap

>>> http://www.bolioshot.com/photography/images/sng2rc1017.jpg