[mou] Lesser Black-backed Gull

Milton Blomberg MJBFLWRMT at MSN.COM
Tue Oct 23 21:36:03 EDT 2007

We arrived at Pearl Lake at 4:30pm (Southern Stearns County) and despite the wind and low gull count, at 5:25 as new arrivals came in the Lesser Black-backed Gull was located--western shore.  We were posted up on the NW shore of the private park for locals and cottages by the permission of a nearby neighbor, at the intersection of CR141/Eclipse Rd.  However, the young lady who lives in the brown rambler across from the park was distressed by our presence.  It may be well to knock on her door for permission, or ask the neighbor next door to the east, or avoid and start your glassing at the Public Water Access along the northside of the lake.  Other local members were very congenial and interested to know about a rarer bird is currently being sighted in their locale.
The evening before we struck out on the LesserBB amidst hundreds of gulls, and interestingly, hundreds hundreds more began arriving from 5:45-6:30 as sunset turned to dark. Other species present: Coots & Ring-bills galore, Pied-billed grebes, Redheads, Scaups, Merganser, Loons, Canvasback, Blue Heron, sincerely, mjb and fg