[mou] Woodpeckers on the north shore....

SCmzd at aol.com SCmzd at aol.com
Thu Oct 25 21:19:36 EDT 2007

10/24 and 10/25/07.  Yesterday morning found several downy and hairy
woodpeckers, 2 yellow bellied sapsuckers, and one male threetoed woodpecker at
lighthouse point in Two Harbors.  Also found one pilleated woodpecker, and  one
female blackbacked woodpecker at Stony Point.  This AM I found a male  black
backed woodpecker on Minnesota Point by the airport.  Interestingly,  both the
three toed male and the black backed male foraged only on birch trees  when I
observed them, (look to the birches). A remarkable experience with the  male
black backed this AM.  While observing and photographing the bird a  Merlin flew
in and attempted to prey upon the black backed.  The woodpecker  saw him coming
and let out a piercing vocalization that rattled and squawked,  the merlin
pulled up and swiped at the woodpecker but missed, both flew off with  the
Merlin in hot pursuit.  This took place while I stood 15feet away  watching, WOW.
Other notable birds in the last two days included a fox  sparrow, and a flock
of 30 pine siskins at light house point.   Several bald eagles in several
locations. 10 Black Bellied Plovers on Minnesota  Point. The snow buntings are
increasing in numbers with a flock of 100 plus  found on Minnesota Point.  On a
side note, I returned to Minnesot Point  this evening and watched an amazing
full moon rise over Lake Superior.  I  enjoyed this spectacle near a sleeping
blackbellied and american golden  plover.  I made a small fire.  When the moon
had risen a ways the  plovers awoke, moved to the shoreline, vocalized to each
other briefly, then  took to the air, I assume, to not return.  As far as a
day to enjoy the  spectacle of migration, this was a 10 of 10.
Happy Birding.  Shawn Zierman