[mou] Evening Grosbeaks in Duluth!

SCmzd at aol.com SCmzd at aol.com
Sat Oct 27 14:13:48 EDT 2007

I had things to do this Saturday morning that were going to prevent me from
doing any birding, so I had to make due with occasionally glancing out the
backyard window.  I nearly went spastic when I looked out and saw 10  EVENING
GROSBEAKS!  They had dropped out of the sky and quickly gorged  themselves on
some sunflower seeds I put out on a tray feeder that is close to  the ground to
placate the squirrels so they don't pull down my finch  feeders.  9 of the
grosbeaks were male, one was female.  They fed for  about 10 minutes then took
off, have not returned yet.  I've now had 5  finch species this AM with pine
siskin, purple and house finches, and american  goldfinches rounding out the
list.  I have lived in West Duluth for 10  years and have never seen evening
grosbeaks, however, this is the first year I  have ever featured a tray style
feeder.  Also have had a pileated  woodpecker flying over my yard two days in a row
now.  Life is good:)   Shawn Zierman.