[mou] T. Solitaire, N. shrike, merlin; Hastings Sand Coulee SNA

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Sun Oct 28 18:51:06 EDT 2007

Don Harrington, Jen Vieth, Jen's co-worker Jessica, and I birded the new SNA
addition to the Hastings Sand Coulee, where Jessica has been involved in
prairie seed-collecting. Among the usual expected birds were a fly-by
merlin, a shrike actively engaged in hunting for some time (saw some
hovering and two pursuits, but they moved down into the grass and over the
hill, so couldn't tell the outcomes), and one Townsend's solitaire. At the
first sighting, Don was able to get his scope on the solitaire, and Jen and
Jessica got a look. Shortly thereafter, it flew over our heads and perched
at the top of a cedar just in front of us. We then checked the id against
the Sibley and the Na. Geographic.

To reach this addition of the coulee, take 61 south through Hastings until
it forks off from 316. Take 316 just past the last housing development
(called South Pines), and there will be a large brown and yellow sign for
the SNA on your right. There is a grassy parking area behind the sign.

Linda Whyte