[mou] North Shore Birding past weekend

Heath Renner rennerheath at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 30 22:41:21 EDT 2007

Hey I am wondering if anyone can direct me to how I remove myself from this site so I don't get the emails regarding bird sightings for now.  I tried through an email I had saved that said how to unsubscribe, but that didn't accomplish anything.  Any help would be appreciated.  I enjoy the updates, but am having trouble with my filter on the email site I use, and so I get them directly into my inbox, which I do not want.

Thank you.

From: solum11 at msn.comTo: mou-net at moumn.orgDate: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:26:51 -0500Subject: [mou] North Shore Birding past weekend

We just got back from birding the North Shore from Duluth to Ely to Grand Marais since Friday and had the following...

At the Two Harbors lighthouse....
2 BOREAL CHICKADEES
1 RUBY CROWNED KINGLET
18 EVENING GROSBEAK flew by
1 PINE GROSBEAK
1 GRAY JAY
4 PINE SISKIN
10 ROBIN

ALL along our way on every route we had from one to over 200 SNOW BUNTINGS mixed at times with LAPLAND LONGSPUR and HORNED LARK. The largest flock was just northwest of the SuperOne and Pamida shopping center in Two Harbors where over 200 were feeding along a side road!

Along the Gunflint Trail we had a beautiful male BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER harassing a HAIRY near the Brule River pull-off. We had another BLACK-BACKED on the south end of Grand Marais on 61.

In the Campground in Grand Marais on Monday we had...
1 male RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER several times while hiking at "Sweethearts Bluff"
14 PINE GROSBEAK feeding along the road
1 NORTHERN CARDINAL male nearby
28 BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS
11 PINE SISKIN
3 COMMON REDPOLLS-feeding in a small Birch Tree

On our way back to Duluth, we were astounded to find 6 CATTLE EGRET along the west side of Highway 61 at mile marker 43 near Split Rock at Fire Address 3644. We took several photos and video if anybody would like to see.

Finally, at Gooseberry Falls State Park a single female EVENING GROSBEAK was tamely feeding on one of the feeders at 4 p.m.

Good Birding!
Jim & Kayce Solum
solum11 at msn.com
Gurnee, Illinois