[mou] birding south of the cities

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 3 03:06:59 EDT 2007

The hummingbirds have really been sucking the feeders dry this week, despite
the abundance of jewelweed around the house.  After two years of trying to
get cardinal flowers planted in the back yard, one has volunteered in the
front yard.  I am not sure how it got there.

Yesterday morning I watched a chickadee fold his head under his wing and go
to sleep, oblivious to me reading just 15  feet away.  I was surprised that
it did this sitting completely exposed on the edge of my birdbath.

Today (Sunday) I stopped by the sod farms in Empire township.  there were no
shorebirds on the Jirik farm fields, but the Braun fields west of there by
the red house had a couple of pools with hundreds of shorebirds.  Most flew
further back out of view, but I was still able to count nine species
including Black-bellied Plover, Stilt, Pectoral, Bairds, Least, and
Semi-palmated Sandpiper, and a Dowitcher.  A walk out to Sand Point turned
up ten species of warbler, including a Cerulean.

Yesterday I found a beautiful hawk moth in the yard with a wingspan of about
three inches: a White-lined Sphinx moth (Hyles lineata) (formerly called a
Striped Mourning Sphinx moth (Celerio lineata).

sweston2 at comcast.net