[mou] West Central Minnesota

David Benson bensodavid at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 23:24:07 EDT 2007

On the way home from dropping son Jonas off at the U, we did a little
birding in West Central Minnesota. On Sunday, between Olivia and
Danube, we followed and had great looks at a Eurasian Collared-Dove
that was flying along the railroad track parallel to Hwy 212. We lost
track of it in Danube, so we don't know if it stopped there.

Also, today we found a great shorebird spot in Raymond, MN (ten miles
SW of Willmar). From Hwy 23, go 0.5 mile north on Cty Rd 7; At this
point (across the street from the golf course) there is a large ditch
flanked by two roads. The two-track road on the right leads to the
sewage ponds, which were deserted. On the right of the ditch, there
are a couple of parking spots, and then a wide, grassy path along the
ditch. A half-mile off Cty Rd 7, there is a large slough which can be
scanned from one end. There were hundreds of shorebirds there and
almost as many ducks. We (without a scope, sadly) were able to id the
following:

Red-necked Phalarope
Wilson's Phalarope
Willet
Lesser Yellowlegs
Greater Yellowlegs
Dowitcher sp.
Solitary Sandpiper
Semi-palmated Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Killdeer
Wilson's Snipe
Dunliin

but there were many more birds farther out.

Dave Benson
Duluth