[mou] Warblers WildRiverStPark

Milton Blomberg MJBFLWRMT at MSN.COM
Wed Sep 5 22:34:11 EDT 2007

To let you know, birding the Deer Creek Trail (Horseriding) trail on Labor Day which loop along the St. Croix River and bluff landscape in the southern part of the park.  Many mini-waves of warblers and vireos, although at times one needed to be patient with them.  The first began at 7:30 am. Periodically after that.  Didn't see a RE Vireo until 11:00 am, and then they were all over the place.  Interestingly, in this what I call the "vireo" wave of the day, I charted Warbling, Philadelphia, Yellow-throated, and Blue-Headed in the mix.  Other unique waves were: a Blackburinian wave through some Red Pines, full colored Chestnut-sided adults, B&W's common enough in every event. Came up w/ 14 species, including Golden-Wings and Blue-Wings w/ adult plumage. 1-Ovenbird, 1- Cape May, few Magnolias, Blackpolls, Wilson's.  Others of note: 2 Veeries, Swainson's Thrushes, 2-yellowed Scarlet Tanagers.  Blooms: Calico & Panicled Asters, Stiff Genetian, Goldenrod, Woodland Sunflowers.  Stopped to view the Buff-Breasted Sandpipers at the aforementioned Jeffrey Ave sod farms outside of North Branch.  A rather nice day!  mjb