[mou] Bluebird

Don Starkweather donstark at charter.net
Thu Sep 6 12:32:20 EDT 2007

My wife and I watched a bird in our lilac bush in the backyard for about 20 minutes.  We have a bowl of water beneath it and it attracts a lot of birds.  We described it to each other and we are sure it is a juvenile bluebird.  It is the carbon copy of the juvenile western bluebird shown in Sibley's book.  I looked through my other books and found no picture of a juvenile eastern bluebird, only a brief description that it is similar to the western juvenile.  The blue in the tail was a very bright blue and the spotting on the breast and back was very prominent. The eye ring was obvious and again like Sibley's picture.   I know it should be an eastern because of the range, but could it be a lost western???

Don Starkweather
Northfield, MN