[mou] C Nighthawk mobbed

Dedrick Benz benzdedrick at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 19 18:32:28 EDT 2007

About 5 PM this evening I was walking the road to McNally Landing in Winona, when I heard a good deal of clatter.  I looked up, and noticed a fairly conspicuous Common Nighthawk roosting on a branch over the road.  For a good minute or two I heard chatter, and noticed near the nighthawk:

2 Eastern Bluebirds
1 Eastern Phoebe
1 Downy Woodpecker
1 Magnolia Warbler

A car then drove under the branch, and the nighthawk flew north.  The other birds disappeared and wouldn't reappear to my pishing.

I've never seen birds harrass a nightjar before (I would have been more appreciative if the birds were calling my attention to a Chuck-Will's-Widow, heh, heh).

Dedrick Benz
Winona, MN