[mou] Yellow-crowned Night-heron seen tonight

hagsela at aol.com hagsela at aol.com
Wed Sep 19 22:29:23 EDT 2007

The Yellow-crowned Night-heron reported by Diana Doyle was seen tonight at 7:20 p.m. We (Diana kindly guided me to the spot) were at the tee off for Hole 12 on the Lake Hiawatha golf course.? This juvenile bird was obviously darker and slimmer than the two juvenile Black-crowned Night-herons we'd been observing at a nearby location on the lake.? The bill was black (we were close enough, about 75 feet, to note this feature with only our eyes) and stubbier than the bills of the BCNH juveniles.? The eye on the YCNH appeared large and seemed to be amber brown in color.? The YCNH sported fine, small white spots on the back and wings.? It flew after about a minute of observation.? We were able to note the extension of the feet and 'ankles' extending beyond the tail as it flew.? It was in the company of two juvenile BCNH's as it flew.? It appeared slimmer and with a shorter wing span than its cousins.

Diana's directions to the spot are good.? From 28th Avenue, walk towards the lake, cross the bridge and head for the shore line.? Look for night-herons as you go.? To get to the spot from where we saw the bird, go to your left from the shore of the lake and look for grass beaten down to form a path that stays relatively close to the shore.? It will take you up to a point where you have to step onto the golf course.? Be very careful not to get in the way.? We waited as long as we did because most golfers finished up as the sun set.? There's one small bridge to cross and then you're near the back water by Hole 12 that the YCNH seems to favor.

Thanks to Diana for sharing this bird with us!? Was a nice chance to study juveniles of both night-heron species side by side.

Linda Sparling
Hennepin County