[mou] Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, L. Hiawatha, Minneapolis

Bruce Fall bafall at umn.edu
Sat Sep 22 10:58:35 EDT 2007

This morning (Sat., 22 Sept.) Susan Fall and I relocated the Yellow-
crowned Night-Heron found earlier this week (18 Sept.) by Diana Doyle
near L. Hiawatha, S. Minneapolis, Hennepin Co. When we arrived at
06:45 a.m., several  Black-crowned Night-Herons flew from the lake
shore  to the E, and landed in the tall trees on the N side of the
creek, 50 yards W of 28th Ave. At 7:30 we returned to the creek bank
and found 7 BCNHs and the juv. YCNH. I posted a photo of the YCNH to
the MOU Recently Seen page (http://www.moumn.org/cgi-bin/recent.pl).
When we left at 9:00 a.m. all the night-herons were still in these
trees, and I suspect they will remain here all day. The best view is
from the S creek bank, off 47th Ave. In addition, we saw a female
Black-throated Blue Warbler in lower shrubs in this same area, at
7:15 a.m.

Bruce A. Fall
Minneapolis