[mou] hutchinson shorebirds

Ben Parke trumpetplayers at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 22 21:55:31 EDT 2007

I made a pilgrimage out to Hutchinson to see what I could see.  I also was not lucky with the western sandpiper.  However, if you are looking for large numbers of shorebirds and gulls as I was, Hutchinson is the place to go.  The following are to the best of my knowledge what I saw:

  a whole lot of ring-billed gulls
  baird's sandpiper
  a huge raft of pelicans
  many great egrets
  lesser yellowlegs
  least sandpiper (tons)
  great blue herons
  stilt sandpiper
  kildeer (many)
  house wren (along the shore in the trees)
  franklin's gull (probably 10 or so)
  mallards
  yellow-rumped warblers
  red phalarope (1 flying by - distinctive eye stripe was a dead give-away)
  bonaparts gull (I got a good look at the all black bill)
  pectoral sandpiper
  semi-palmated plover

  There were a number of gulls and shorebirds that were too far out for me to identify without a scope.  If anyone that does have a scope is thinking about going out to Hutch, I'd be interested in joining them.

  Good birding,
  Ben Parke