[mou] Late Report: LBBG at Black Dog Lake

Drewbec at aol.com Drewbec at aol.com
Sat Sep 22 23:03:05 EDT 2007

My apologies for the late report. Friday evening between 5:45 and 6:00pm I
saw an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull on Black Dog Lake in Burnsville, Dakota
County. West end, near the concrete pipe and castings. This may be the same
bird  reported by others at Lake Calhoun in Hennepin County recently (touche,
Paul!). This is a different bird than the one I saw previously at this
location on 9/5 (I never saw that bird again, despite much looking). This bird  had a
clean white head (no head streaking or spot in front of the eye); a golden
yellow colored bill; and only a red gonydeal spot. It also had a more defined
whitish edge to the secondaries. Plus other typical adult plumage
characteristics.

At least 4 Franklin's Gulls were also present (possibly others), and a
couple Herring Gulls.

Also, reporting even later, was a Bonaparte's Gull on 9/11 (adult in basic
plumage).

Drew Smith
Eagan, Dakota County