[mou] Nelson's Sharp-tailed and Le Conte's Sparrows, Blue Earth County

rdunlap at gac.edu rdunlap at gac.edu
Fri Sep 28 18:01:56 EDT 2007

This afternoon around 3:00 I found both a Nelson's Sharp-tailed and a
Le Conte's Sparrow at Cobb River WPA in south central Blue Earth
County. This is the same area  from which I reported the late
Henslow's Sparrow yesterday.

I found the birds in the cattails/mixed rushes bordering a large pond
that one can get to from the first parking area driving south on 586th
Ave. (the parking area with the big brown FWS sign). From this mowed
parking lot, hike east past the gate for about 400 yards; at this
point there will be a large pond on your right, and you can hike
through the shortgrass prairie to reach the pond's edge. Also, a Sora
briefly called from the opposite shore while I was searching for
sparrows.

Correction to my post from yesterday: what I called 355th St. is
actually 586th Ave.

I also looked for the Henslow's Sparrow, but did not refind it.

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County