[mou] Gyfalcon, etc. at Superior Entry

Peder Svingen psvingen at d.umn.edu
Fri Sep 28 23:12:24 EDT 2007

The juvenile gray-morph Gyrfalcon found by the North Dakota Birding
Society on the first day of their fall trip to Duluth was observed for
about 15 minutes before it disappeared. It was initially found perched
on the cement wall at the south end of Minnesota Point. Remaining on
the Minnesota side of the Superior Entry, it then flew to the rocks on
the breakwater and perched again. Though relatively early, there are
several previous September records for Minnesota as follows:
16 Sep 1971 Duluth (Loon 44:12)
19 Sep 1976 Duluth (Loon 49:142)
21 Sep 1981 Hawk Ridge (Loon 54:119)
22 Sep 1971 Nobles County (Loon 44:12)
24 Sep 1990 Hawk Ridge (Loon 63:119)

In addition to the birds mentioned below, we also found an adult
Red-throated Loon at Wisconsin Point (Wisconsin waters only) and 2
Short-eared Owls in flight on both sides of the Superior Entry at 5:10
PM. The juvenile Parasitic Jaeger was seen from the first pullout on
Wisconsin Point and put on quite a show as it harassed Ring-billed
Gulls.

Thanks to Jim Lind for posting on our behalf.
--
Peder H. Svingen
Duluth, MN