[mou] Old Cedar, Bass Ponds

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Tue Apr 1 20:35:45 CDT 2008

Along Old Cedar Bluff Trail, between the first, stepped, boardwalk and the
second boardwalk, there were multiple brown creeper voices. Aside from the
red-winged blackbirds and grackles and one great blue heron, no other recent
arrivals were in evidence.

However, there were (FOY for me) clouds of tiny, flying insects around the
boardwalks, including the one out to the platform---reassurance that there
is indeed live food for the weary travelers, despite some snow cover
remaining.

At Bass Ponds, there was a song sparrow singing vigorously from the wetland
thicket east of the stream. While I was perusing the river there, a barred
owl chimed in. The river had a variety of recently arrived waterfowl,
including woodies, mergansers, shovelers and blue-winged teal. Its mudflats
are extensive and easily visible, though I hadn't thought of hauling in the
scope to search for shorebirds.There was one close pass by an immature
eagle, and one distant one by what might have been a harrier, over the marsh
on the opposite bank.

Linda Whyte