[mou] Anoka County Rum River Central Park - Barred Owls, Red-Shouldered Hawk, Wood Ducks

Todd Merefield tjmerf74 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 2 12:24:14 CDT 2008

During a walk through the snowy trails in the park, I found a sleeping Barred Owl perched in a tree.  While I was taking pictures, it's mate called to it.  I quickly switched my camera to movie mode knowing that he (I think it was a male) would respond.  Sure enough he did, but I only captured the last 4 notes of the familiar 8 note call.   Oh well, there is always tomorrow.

There was also a distant whining call coming from his mate.  I wonder if she was saying "I'm hungry, get off that branch and get me something to eat?"  I'm guessing they are nesting but am not entirely sure.  Is it the right time for a female to be laying on eggs in a tree cavity?  He didn't answer these calls but that may have been due to my being there.   After about 5 minutes of watching, I moved on.  Interrrupting him if he is trying to hunt would not help matters.

Just a bit farther down the trail there was a raptor perched on a branch overhanging the river.  I didn't get a great view but was able to see prominent black and white stripes on the tail.  So I narrowed it down to a Red-Shouldered or Broad-Winged Hawk.  Judging from the size, I concluded it was a Red-Shouldered Hawk.  Also, a couple of days ago, I definitely saw a Red-Shouldered Hawk in the same general area.

I have just recently discoverd this park and it has turned out to be a great birding destination.  There were also Pileated Woodpeckers, Wood Ducks and Common Mergansers mixed in with all the "usual suspects".  Makes an interesting day trip when you combine it with the Coon Rapids Dam.  Both within 10-15 miles of each other.   I also saw an Eastern Phoebe on Sunday at the Dam, perched on a tree next to the visitor's center.

Todd Merefield