[mou] Tour de Rookery

molly at nutting.us molly at nutting.us
Thu Apr 3 10:06:34 CDT 2008

We did a whirlwind tour of the Heron Rookeries (Heronries?) at North
Mississippi Regional Park and Coon Rapids Dam yesterday morning.

We thought the scene at North Mississippi Regional Park was
particularly spectacular, with a ton of occupied nests packed onto the
small island. You're also able to get quite a bit closer than at Coon
Rapids Dam, although it's a bit of a hike from the visitor center
(i.e. maybe get a babysitter for your 11-month-old rather than
dragging him through the woods at 8am in 25 degree weather :) It was
fun to watch the huge birds maneuvering through the trees carrying big
sticks.
If you go, park at the visitor center and hike south along the river
(paved trails are available).
http://www.threeriversparkdistrict.org/parks/northmississippi.cfm

At the Coon Rapids Dam, we were unable to identify the Great Horned
Owl nest, but we did see the Red Tailed Hawk nest. An American Kestrel
was hanging out with the Starlings on the power lines over the river.
He seemed to be checking out the holes in the power line marker balls:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mnutting/sets/72157604367248644.

Molly Nutting
Minneapolis