[mou] Purgatory Creek Wetlands(Eden Prairie)-Red-breasted Merganser

John Cyrus cyrus150 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 3 16:00:42 CDT 2008

>From the blind this afternoon, I found at least two Red-breasted Mergansers in the center of the wetlands close to the edge of the ice.  I got pictures of both of them, with his neck stretched upward.   One of the Red-breasted Mergansers flew off right before I left.  I lost track of him, so I'm not sure if he was just circling the area or departing.   There were also around a dozen Common Mergansers.  Waterfowl is returning, but there wasn't quite the variety as this past Sunday.   Also there:

Canada Geese, Mallard, Am. Coot, Northern Shoveler, Bufflehead, Hooded Merganser, and either Ring-necked Duck or Scaup(they were sleeping with their heads tucked a distance away).

There were 2 Golden-crowned Kinglets singing back and forth along the creek near Anderson Lakes Blvd.  I got a picture of one with his crown tilted right towards me.   I was hoping for Fox Sparrow but still no luck.   I'm sure they'll return by the weekend.

John