[mou] Birding Around Hastings

Sharon Stiteler birdchick at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 14:37:40 CDT 2008

This morning was busy at the banding station at Carpenter Nature
Center in Hastings.  We banded over fifty juncoes, and one was a
white-winged junco.  We also observed purple finches, eastern
bluebirds, and red-breasted nuthatches.

After banding, I stopped over at Prescott and observed the peregrines
on the railroad bridge and about six tree swallows flying overhead.
I stopped at Point Douglas and observed ring-necked ducks, redheads,
bufflehead, hooded mergansers and scaup.  I ran into fellow birder
Jim Otto and he helped me try and distinguish greater from lesser
scaup.  They were fairly close to shore and I was able to pick out at
least two greaters.  If scaup are not a strong suit for you, it could
be a good spot to try and tell the difference--with a scope, they are
relatively close to shore.

I did not see the harlequin duck today.

Sharon Stiteler
www.birdchick.com