[mou] bird feeding chart

Larson Kelly northernflights at charter.net
Mon Apr 7 17:54:53 CDT 2008

Everybody loves mealworms!
Many species of songbird that visits our yards, frequent our water
features, and eat our seed feeders will switch to a highly
insectivorous diet once their eggs hatch. Chicks require incredible
amounts of energy to fuel their rapid growth and insects provide the
bulk of the fat and protein.

Examples of birds that have visited my yard for mealworms:
Bluebirds, of course you will need housing to attract them to the
area first.
Orioles can be convinced to visit your yard all summer by offering
mealworms, the usually stop coming to nectar and jelly after the
chicks hatch.
Chipping Sparrow, Nuthatch, Cardinal, Blue Jay, Chickadee, Catbird,
Thrasher, House Finch, Purple Finch, Yellow-rumped, Tennessee, and
Orange-crowned Warbler.
If placed on a shallow tray on the ground near brush you might entice
Robins and other thrushes as well as a whole host of more secretive
sparrows and warblers.

The problem with mealworms is keeping the tray filled once the word
gets out!

I highly recommend "Wild About Birds" a MN DNR publication written by
Carroll Henderson of the Non Game Wildlife Department as the bible of
backyard bird feeding. It is available at most libraries, wild bird
specialty shops or on line from the MN Bookstore.

Kelly Larson
Bagley/Bemidji Minnesota

Eschew Obfuscation!
The middle of Nowhere is Somewhere!