[mou] MRVAC - Anoka County Birding Day - Field Trip Report - 4/7/2008

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Mon Apr 7 20:39:12 CDT 2008

April 7, 2008

Spent the day leading a trip to Anoka County today.  Our group enjoyed many
of the previously reported species and our first little wave of
Yellow-rumped Warblers.  All in all it was a pretty nice day, despite the
morning snow and cold weather.  We observed most of the previously reported
birds at the Coon Rapid's Regional Park.  Including lots of Common Loons, a
dozen Red-necked Grebes and a number of Horned Grebes.  We were also able to
get a look at the Great Horned Owl in the Heron nest South of the Dam.
Along the trail just South West of the Dam we encountered 20 to 30
Yellow-rumped Warblers, actively feeding high in the Cottonwood trees.  Here
are some of the 69 species we observed today.

14 species of Ducks, including all three Mergansers.
Common Loon - Many birds were observed actively feeding in the pool North of
the Dam.
Horned Grebe
Red-necked Grebe
Great Egret
Sandhill Crane
Great Horned Owl
Red-headed Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern Phoebe - We observed at least a dozen Eastern Phoebes at various
locations around Anoka County.
Tree Swallow - 100s, North of the Dam.
Brown Creeper
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-throated Kinglet
Hermit Thrush - Observed at Springbrook Nature Center and in a nice section
of woods along the Mississippi River, which can be accessed off of Alden Way
and Bellaire Way.
Yellow-rumped Warbler - Was great to see the small wave of Warblers today.
Fox Sparrow

Craig Mandel
EgretCMan at msn.com

Minnetonka, MN