[mou] Backyard birding in Duluth....

SCmzd at aol.com SCmzd at aol.com
Tue Apr 8 20:51:38 CDT 2008

4/8/08, Came home this AM after a long nights work and discovered a
yellowbellied sapsucker on the maple tree in my backyard.  I had long  considered
cutting this tree down as it is old and will probably come down on  it's own soon.
 But today, sap was running near the trunk of the tree and  the sapsucker
loved it.  For approx. 5 hours the sapsucker fed on the  sap.  At one point
another yellowbellied sapsucker came in and there was a  little interaction between
the two.  While transfixed on this bird for  hours, as it rarely left the
spot on the tree that the sap flowed from, a flock  of at least 50 common
redpolls came into my backyard and set down on the same  tree for about 1minute then
took off.  An hour later, I heard and saw a  flock of at least 30 tundra swans
fly over my house calling as they went.   These sightings were significant to
me primarily because all three species were  new yard birds:)  Also seen in
my Duluth neighborhood this week- two great  blue herons, two trumpeter swans,
a ruby crowned kinglet, and one northern  harrier.
Good Birding, Shawn Zierman, Duluth, MN.