[mou] 180th St. marsh, 4/8

Phil Dech pdech at charter.net
Wed Apr 9 13:23:03 CDT 2008

I had a good afternoon there. Plenty of ducks to be seen.

N. Shoveller
Am. Widgeon
Coot
Gadwall
Ring-necked Duck
Blue-Winged Teal
Redhead
Scaup
Wood Duck (lone drake)

A lone Sandhill Crane flew in while I was there.

It paid to look up from time to time.  A Rough-legged, a Cooper's and 2 Red-Tailed Hawks came through the area.  I also saw a pair of Eastern Bluebirds at the top of the rise just west of the marsh.

I also checked out Sturgeon Lake.  This is a Mississippi backwater immediately north of the Prairie Island Nuclear Power Plant, in Goodhue County.  There were about 120 White Pelicans.

Phil Dech
Red Wing