[mou] Northwest Minnesota Birding Report- Thursday, April 10, 2008

Jeanie Joppru ajjoppru at wiktel.com
Thu Apr 10 21:03:02 CDT 2008

Red-winged Blackbird
Western Meadowlark
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Common Grackle
Purple Finch
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: April 10, 2008
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru (ajjoppru at wiktel.com)

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, April 10,
2008 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

Spring migration is in full swing this week as the first wave of
passerines is flooding in, raptor migration continues, and the waterfowl
migration is winding down. Open water in the northwest is increasing,
but still much ice remains so the migrants are concentrated in the few
open areas and the field melt water. The latter is not very widespread
as we have had little precipitation in the far northwest and the melt is
sinking into the ground and evaporating with the strong winds that have
been common within the last weeks.

On April 1, Brad and Dee Ehlers reported a FOX SPARROW in Otter Tail
County. On April 3 there were SNOW GEESE flying over Hoot Lake, and on
the 7th, both a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK and a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK came to
look for lunch in their yard. Amy Drake reported a TREE SWALLOW on April
4, AMERICAN COOT, and a PURPLE FINCH among many other species on April
6. Dan and Sandy Thimgan observed GREAT EGRET on April 5, DOUBLE-CRESTED
CORMORANT, HERRING GULL and BELTED KINGFISHER on April 8, and 65 TUNDRA
SWANS on April 9.

A GREAT EGRET was seen in Hubbard County on April 3 along MN 71/200 west
of CR 3 by Phil and Laurie Bauerly.

Beau Shroyer in Becker County reported BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS in Detroit
Lakes on April 5, and a FOX SPARROW on April 6.

Mel and Elaine Bennefeld at Buffalo River State Park in Clay County on
April 9 saw a WOOD DUCK, GOLDEN EAGLE, GREAT BLUE HERON, and EASTERN
BLUEBIRD. While driving through Clay County north of Moorhead on April
5, Zeann Linder saw a large migrating flock of geese and ducks just west
of Kragnes. Included in the many thousands of birds were CANADA GEESE,
CACKLING GEESE, many GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE, SNOW GEESE , and
several species of ducks including NORTHERN PINTAIL. As we watched a
GOLDEN EAGLE flushed a large group of the waterfowl.

Kelly Larson was in Polk County on April 5 where she reported many
species of raptors including TURKEY VULTURE. There was an EASTERN
BLUEBIRD at Oak Lake, GREATER PRAIRIE-CHICKENS on leks at Glacial Ridge.
Mike Christopherson reported a pair of MERLINS at his home in Crookston
on April 3. Nate Emery observed a SHORT-EARED OWL flying over Pankratz
Prairie SNA on April 7.

In Red Lake County, Shelley Steva reported 20 TUNDRA SWANS, RED-TAILED
HAWK, MERLIN, SANDHILL CRANES, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD and WESTERN
MEADOWLARK on April 10.

A GREAT HORNED OWL was seen on April 7 along MN 1 west of Thief River
Falls in Pennington County. Shelley Steva reported 20 BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS
near her home in Thief River Falls on April 10.

>From Agassiz NWR Maggie Anderson reported RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS on April
4. On that day an albino female MALLARD was seen on the refuge. Three
TRUMPETER SWANS returned to the refuge on April 4. Other species on the
4th included one RING-BILLED GULL and a YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD. 15
AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS returned on April 7. A GREAT EGRET was seen on
April 8, a SHORT-EARED OWL was reported on Westgate Road on April 9,
while a COOPER'S HAWK and a MERLIN came to headquarters on April 10.

In Clearwater County, Kelly Larson reported PURPLE FINCH and FOX SPARROW
on April 4, and SANDHILL CRANE, AMERICAN WOODCOCK, and BARRED OWL on
April 7 among the many species she saw this week at her place near
Bagley.

In Beltrami County, Kelly Larson included TRUMPETER SWAN, several
species of ducks, PIED-BILLED GREBE, BELTED KINGFISHER, EASTERN PHOEBE,
and RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD in the list of species seen on April 8 at the
Mississippi River outlet, and BUFFLEHEAD among the ducks at the inlet.
Dave Carman and Steve Patterson both reported a MERLIN in Bemidji this
week.

Larry Wilebski in Kittson County observed MOURNING DOVE, EASTERN
BLUEBIRD, and FOX SPARROW on April 5 , and SANDHILL CRANES on April 9.

>From throughout the area, there were reports this week of most species
of goose, both swans, WOOD DUCK, GADWALL, MALLARD, BLUE-WINGED TEAL,
NORTHERN SHOVELER, NORTHERN PINTAIL, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, CANVASBACK,
REDHEAD, RING-NECKED DUCK, BUFFLEHEAD, COMMON GOLDENEYE, HOODED
MERGANSER, COMMON MERGANSER, BALD EAGLE, NORTHERN HARRIER, RED-TAILED
HAWK, ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, AMERICAN KESTREL, MERLIN, SANDHILL CRANE,
KILLDEER, BELTED KINGFISHER, EASTERN PHOEBE, EASTERN BLUEBIRD, AMERICAN
ROBIN, DARK-EYED JUNCO, FOX SPARROW, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, WESTERN
MEADOWLARK and COMMON GRACKLE.

Thanks to all the folks who sent in reports this week.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at ajjoppru at wiktel.com OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, April 17,
2008

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN