[mou] Yellow Bellied Sapsucker pair

Thomas Maiello thomas at angelem.com
Fri Apr 11 11:22:15 CDT 2008

Had the joy of watching the antics of a male and female Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker interacting on the pine tree trunk right off my deck today.
Watched closely for about a half hour.  Clearly distinguished male
from female beyond the obvious lack of "chin" red on the female. It is
very difficult to define the differences but they are unique and
obvious with continuous observation and comparison.  I can see why
birding guide books only lean on the obvious and definable markings.
This continues my understanding of why bird watching is a process and
the skill to identify individual species as well a sexual dimorphism
within a species must come with practice and patience and more-so the
simply passion and joy one can feel just by the honor of participating
in a bird's life if only as an observer.  I felt very intimate with
the sapsuckers  as I viewed through my 10x50 binoculars (one of my
better investments) and got to see the sensitivity and connectedness
and even tenderness birds can have.  So much to learn and so much time
to do so.

Ain't life sweet?

Thomas Maiello
Angel Environmental Management, Inc.