[mou] Pacific Loon in Olmsted County

Bob Ekblad ekblad at frontiernet.net
Fri Apr 11 12:39:29 CDT 2008

I went out today to look for loons.  At around 11am I found three loons at
the reservoir east of the county landfill (East Landfill Reservoir) that is
located west of Rochester.  Two were breeding plumaged Common Loons and the
third (and best) was a nearly complete alternate (breeding) plumaged Pacific
Loon.  All three loons were hanging out together making the initial ID much
easier.  My initial vantage point was from the road along the west side of
the reservoir.  The gray head was the first feature noted along with overall
size and head shape comparisons to the Common Loons.  I then went to the
east side and walked up on the dam (it is open access now and there is a
parking lot - but there is a walk required from the parking area to the
dam).  The view from the dam was closer and allowed for easier viewing of
the other ID features to clinch the ID.  The weather was not the best since
there is a light rain that made using optics more difficult but seeing the
bird was certainly worth it.  Chuck Krulas and Jeff Stephenson also joined
me on the dam to see the bird.

As always, I certainly hope the bird will hang around for a couple of days.
The crummy weather should help hold it for a while.  If not, look for it in
one of the few open water areas further north.

Bob Ekblad
Olmsted County in Southeast Minnesota
ekblad at frontiernet.net
http://www.Birding-Minnesota.com