[mou] Loon jam

James Mattsson mattjim at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 11 17:16:22 CDT 2008

April 11

Today, I too went loony and checked a few likely spots in Dakota County for a total of 53 Common Loons. Loons have been stacked up locally for several days due to weather and ice conditions to the north. By far the most loons I've seen in Dakota County in the 8-years I've been birding the area.

19 - Spring Lake RP near Hastings
8 - Pt. Douglas near Prescott
25 - Black Dog (22 on west lake-one sleeping raft of 17; 3 on east lake)
1 - new yard bird on my pond.

I had 15 at Lake Byllesby April 6 and Drew Smith counted 31 at Black Dog on the 7th.  I did NOT check Byllesby today.

As Bob Ekblad discovered in Rochester today, it's worth looking closely at ALL of the loons.

James Mattsson
mattjim at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.