[mou] Common Loons and Others at Black Dog Lake - Dakota County

Byron and Ginny Blood byron_and_ginny_blood at msn.com
Fri Apr 11 20:09:22 CDT 2008

Thanks to James Mattson for the alert on the loons at Black Dog.  My wife
and I went there this evening from about 6:00 pm to 7:300 pm and came up
with a total of 57 loons in 4 separate groups. We saw 4 loons right at the
observation deck maybe 20 to 30 feet away.  Another group of 16 were seen
from a path going west from the observation deck that took us past the
little point that obscures the view from the deck.  A group of 12 was seen
towards the east from the path from the parking lot to the observation deck.
The last group of 25 was seen from the east outflow of the lake.  We chose
to walk down the path from the road that is on the east side of the outflow
so we didn't get to see much of the east lake.  Given the numbers that we
did see, I would bet that there were many more further to the west on the
east lake.

Other birds seen:

West outflow:

12 - Ruddy Ducks
 1 - Red Breasted Merganser
Many Tree Swallows
 4 - Double Crested Cormorants
 1 - Canada Goose

Observation Deck:

5 - Red Breasted Mergansers
2 - Mallards

East Outflow

2 - Northern Shovelers
19 Buffle Head
3 - Blue Winged Teal
4 - Ruddy Ducks
2 - Mallards
20 - Common Mergansers
4 - Redheads
1 - Great Egret
Several Lesser Scaup

On Nichols Road just before the junction with Silver Bell Rd.

7 - Wild Turkeys crossing the road in someone's yard where there were 4
deer.

There were also numerous Ring-Billed Gulls at every stop we made at Black
Dog.

Byron Blood