[mou] Cambridge birds 4/10-13

Beth_MSN beth_girard at msn.com
Sun Apr 13 16:09:55 CDT 2008

There's no place like home!  The Cambridge area has been besieged by large
numbers of birds over the last few days.  We have an acre fenced for our six
dogs and their presence has not been a deterrent to hundreds of birds over
the past few days.  I was lucky enough to have them choose our backyard to
find some respite, and plenty of black-oil sunflower seeds, from the storm.
I've gone through more than 30 pounds of seed in the last five days.
Although none of the species visiting my feeders stands out, it was there
sheer numbers (100s at a time) that was so intoxicating!  Those marked with
an asterisk (*) were the most prolific.  It was like watching ants on an
anthill!

Dark-eyed junco (*)
Black-capped chickadee
Pine siskin
Red-winged blackbirds (*)
Mourning doves
American robins (*)
American goldfinches (*)
House sparrow
American tree sparrow
Northern cardinal
Blue jay
Song sparrow
Wood thrush
House Finch
Pileated woodpecker (in the fruit tree out front)
Downy Woodpecker
White-breasted nuthatch
Red-breasted nuthatch
Cooper's Hawk
Northern Harrier (not at the feeders, but quartering the prairie on our
western property line)
Bald eagle (soaring overhead and seemingly oblivious to the bird life below)

The cacophony has ended, but it has certainly left spring in our hearts!

Beth Girard
Cambridge, MN