[mou] Hyland Park Reserve - Loons and Great Horned Owls..

Chris Fagyal cfagyal at avianphotos.org
Sun Apr 13 10:17:55 CDT 2008

Went to Hyland Lake Park Reserve this morning around 11am - 1:30pm.  The
lake was filled with loons.  At one point I had 28 common loons in
view.  Along with the ones around the corner I believe there were at
least 31-33 common loons present.  Also amongst the waterfowl included
Buffleheads, Ring-necked Ducks, Ruddy Ducks, Northern Shovelers,
Pied-billed Grebes, Redheads, Canvasbacks and 1 Red-necked Grebe.  I
also had a single Hermit Thrush, multiple Yellow-rumped Warblers and
multiple Golden-crowned Kinglets flitting about me as I was
photographing the loons (who were very calm and confiding, swiming right
up the shore many times until a moron with a toy speedboat came and
pushed the entire crew of loons to the opposite side of the lack for his
selfish indulgences).

I then went and checked out the Great-Horned Owl nest.  Mom was
comfortably sitting on the nest when I got there.  A few minutes later,
either the roller blader with very noisy ski-poles dragging along the
ground scared her off the nest, or she got uncomfortable because of
baby, and decided to move to a nearby tree.  She certainly had an evil
look for the skater as she passed by that I was able to capture in images.

The concentration of loons is just amazing.  I've never seen such a
thing in the spring before.

Chris Fagyal