[mou] Where are the female Red-Winged Blackbirds?

jtanamachi at comcast.net jtanamachi at comcast.net
Mon Apr 14 07:22:48 CDT 2008

The males get back first to claim and hold prime nesting sites. The females and last year's young make a more leisurely trip back but they aren't too far behind. Dr. Zink's Intro to Ornithology class at our own University of Minnesota has used study of RWBB migration as a student project. (My daughter took the class a few years ago and I went out to Richfield's Wood Lake Nature Center with her to observe the birds weekly during spring semester.) This common bird is quite interesting to study. As I recall, the eggs laid by the female of a pair will often show that she has been associating with the males of neighboring territories when genetic studies are done.

Jeanne Tanamachi
Lauderdale MN
From: Todd Merefield <tjmerf74 at hotmail.com>